Pair a cowboy hat with western-style clothing for a cohesive look. Wear a plaid shirt, denim jeans, and cowboy boots to complete the western-inspired outfit.
Cowboy hats have been a fashion staple for decades, popularized by rodeos, country singers, and western movies. These iconic hats are no longer limited to just the cowboys or ranchers, but now serve as a trendy accessory for anyone who wants to add a touch of the wild wild west to their look.
However, styling a cowboy hat can be tricky, as it requires specific clothing choices to create a cohesive and fashionable outfit. In this article, we’ll discuss some stylish options and tips for what to wear with a cowboy hat to complete your western-inspired look and make you feel confident and stylish.
Best Styles To Wear Cowboy Hats With
The cowboy hat is a classic accessory that has been around for decades. However, with so many different styles emerging, it can be challenging to find the perfect outfit to match. Here are some of the best styles to wear cowboy hats with:
Western-inspired outfits are the perfect match for a cowboy hat. Whether it’s a patterned shirt, high-waisted denim jeans, or leather boots, you can never go wrong with a western look. Make sure to choose outfits that are bold and feature intricate details to complement the cowboy hat.
- Patterned button-up shirts with denim jeans and cowboy boots are a timeless classic
- Leather jackets also work great with cowboy hats
- Accessorize with a bolo tie or a leather belt with a silver buckle for an extra western vibe
Cowboy hats aren’t just for western-themed outfits – they can elevate any casual outfit. They add a touch of boho-chic style to your wardrobe and provide the perfect finishing touch. The key is to keep the outfit relaxed and effortless.
- Maxi dresses and skirts work great with cowboy hats
- Denim shorts with a blouse or a t-shirt make for a relaxed western-inspired look
- Accessorize with statement jewelry to add some personality
Classic, Vintage Looks
If you’re a fan of vintage style, a cowboy hat can add a touch of nostalgia to any outfit. Pairing a cowboy hat with classic pieces is the perfect way to create a unique vintage-inspired look.
- High waisted pants with a tucked-in blouse pair beautifully with cowboy hats
- For a more feminine touch, try pairing a sundress with a cowboy hat
- Accessorize with chunky heels or flats to complete the vintage look
Formal Wear With A Twist
Cowboy hats aren’t just for casual outfits – they can be dressed up for formal events too. When paired with formal wear, a cowboy hat can add an element of surprise and make your outfit stand out.
- Pair a sleek suit with a cowboy hat for a modern take on formal wear
- Wear a dressier blouse with a pencil skirt and cowboy hat for a chic and sophisticated look
- Accessorize with elegant jewelry to complete the formal desert look
Cowboy hats can also be incorporated into trendy ensembles for a modern and edgy look. Mixing cowboy hats with contemporary pieces creates an intriguing contrast that adds an element of cool to any outfit.
- Try wearing a denim jacket and cropped pants with cowboy hats for a casual yet trendy look
- Experiment with statement pieces such as chunky necklaces or large earrings
- Accessorize with a fringe purse or boots to complete the trendy cowboy-inspired outfit
How To Choose The Right Cowboy Hat
Cowboy hats can add a touch of rugged style to your wardrobe. However, choosing the right cowboy hat can be a difficult task, but not impossible. Here are some factors to consider when selecting a cowboy hat:
Factors To Consider When Selecting A Cowboy Hat
- Face shape – consider the shape of your face before buying a cowboy hat. If you have a round face, go for a cowboy hat that has a tall crown and a wide brim to elongate your face. If you have a more angular or square face, choose a cowboy hat with a rounded crown to balance out your features.
- Hat material – the material of your cowboy hat is also an essential factor to consider when selecting one. A wool or felt cowboy hat is the best option for the winter season, while a straw cowboy hat is ideal for warmer weather.
- Occasion – another aspect to consider when choosing a hat is the occasion. If you are wearing it for outdoor activities like horseback riding or hiking, go for a practical cowboy hat with a sturdy brim. If you are wearing it for a night out or a casual occasion, opt for a more stylish and fashionable cowboy hat.
Common Mistakes To Avoid When Picking A Cowboy Hat
Choosing a cowboy hat may seem straightforward, but there are a few slip-ups that you should avoid. Here are some common mistakes to avoid:
- Choosing the wrong size – an ill-fitting hat can make you look awkward and uncomfortable. Be sure to measure your head before purchasing a cowboy hat to get the right size.
- Forgetting your face shape – as mentioned earlier, choosing a cowboy hat that complements your face shape is crucial. Avoid buying hats that don’t suit your face shape.
- Not trying it on – always try on the cowboy hat before making a purchase. Not doing so could lead to unpleasant surprises later on.
How To Properly Fit Your Cowboy Hat
A perfectly fitted cowboy hat is essential to pull off the look. Here are some steps to follow to fit your cowboy hat correctly:
- Measuring your head – wrap a measuring tape around your head, just above your eyebrows and ears. It should sit comfortably, but snugly, on your head.
- Trying it on – once you have your measurement, try on the cowboy hats that fit your size. A well-fitting cowboy hat will sit comfortably and snugly on your head, without leaving any marks.
- Adjusting the chin strap – every cowboy hat comes with a chin strap that secures the hat in place. Ensure that the chin strap is adjusted correctly to keep the cowboy hat secure on your head.
Choosing the right cowboy hat and wearing it correctly can add an element of uniqueness to your personal style. Follow these guidelines, and you will surely find the perfect cowboy hat!
Tips For Wearing A Cowboy Hat
Cowboy hats have become a versatile piece of fashion that you can style with modern outfits quite easily. However, wearing a cowboy hat can be slightly challenging, so here are some tips that will help you wear it with confidence.
Dos And Don’Ts When Styling A Cowboy Hat
When it comes to wearing a cowboy hat, the rules are simple yet crucial to follow. Here are some dos and don’ts that you should be mindful of:
- Wear a cowboy hat at outdoor events such as rodeos, fairs, and concerts.
- Wear your cowboy hat with casual or western outfits for a classic western look.
- Choose a hat size that properly fits your head so that it is comfortable and secure.
- Take good care of your cowboy hat by storing it properly and cleaning it regularly.
- Wear a cowboy hat at formal events like weddings and dinner parties.
- Tilt your cowboy hat too much or wear it backwards.
- Wear a cowboy hat that doesn’t complement or match your outfit choice.
- Wear a cowboy hat that doesn’t fit properly, as it will fall off or slide off your head easily.
How To Wear Your Hat At The Proper Angle
The proper angle of a cowboy hat is essential for achieving the right style. Here are four easy steps that you can follow to find the proper angle:
- Place the cowboy hat squarely on your head, making sure that it’s comfortable and secure.
- Tilt the hat slightly forward to add a touch of mystery to your look.
- Adjust the hat to match your hairstyle, allowing your hair to flow freely.
- Tilt the brim downward to shield the sun and to give you a cooler look.
How To Incorporate Other Accessories With Your Cowboy Hat
You can accessorize your cowboy hat to create a unique look that will make you stand out from the crowd. Here are some accessories that you can add to your outfit:
- Belts with western buckles, bolo ties, and bandanas are perfect accessories that will complement your cowboy hat.
- Boots and spurs are great accessories that will add to the western look and feel.
- Silver or leather bracelets, necklaces, and earrings are perfect accessories that will complement a cowboy hat that has silver accents.
Now that you know how to wear a cowboy hat, you can confidently create amazing outfits that incorporate this western-inspired accessory with any style.
Care And Maintenance Of Your Cowboy Hat
How To Clean And Store Your Cowboy Hat
Maintaining your cowboy hat not only preserves its quality but also extends its life. Here are some key things to know about cleaning and storing your cowboy hat:
- Use a soft-bristled brush or a lint roller to remove dust and debris from your hat. Avoid pressing too hard, which can damage the felt or straw material.
- To remove stains, use a damp cloth and gently dab the affected area. Do not rub harshly or use any cleaning products that are not specifically designed for hats.
- Allow your hat to air dry after cleaning. Do not use a hairdryer or any other heat source to dry it, as this can also damage the material.
- Store your cowboy hat properly to keep its shape. Use a hat rack or stand to avoid creasing the brim, and avoid stacking it on other items.
- When not in use, store your hat in its original box or a breathable hat case. Keep it away from direct sunlight and extreme temperatures to prevent any damage.
Common Mistakes To Avoid When Caring For A Cowboy Hat
Caring for a cowboy hat may seem like a simple task, but many people make common mistakes that can damage their hat’s quality. Here are some things to avoid when caring for your cowboy hat:
- Do not expose your hat to heat, as this can cause shrinkage or warping.
- Avoid getting your hat wet, as this can cause spotting and deformation. If your hat gets wet, allow it to air dry completely before wearing or storing it.
- Never use harsh chemicals or cleaning products on your hat. These can damage the material and affect the hat’s quality.
- Do not starch or iron your hat. These processes can stiffen the material and ruin its shape.
- Refrain from using tight-fitting hat bands, as they can alter the shape of your hat.
Recommended Products For Cleaning And Maintaining Your Hat
Using the right products can make a big difference when caring for your cowboy hat. Here are some recommended products for cleaning and maintaining your hat:
- Hat cleaning sponge: This helps remove light stains and dust from your hat without using any harsh chemicals.
- Hat stiffener: Use this product to restore your hat’s original shape and stiffness.
- Hat protector spray: This spray repels water and stains, preventing any damage to your cowboy hat’s material.
- Hat brush: This soft-bristled brush helps remove dust and debris from your hat without causing any damage.
By following these tips and investing in some recommended products, you can maintain your cowboy hat’s quality and extend its life. Remember to clean and store your hat properly, avoid common mistakes, and use the right products to ensure your cowboy hat always looks its best.
Frequently Asked Questions Of What To Wear With A Cowboy Hat
What Occasions Can I Wear A Cowboy Hat For?
You can wear a cowboy hat for outdoor events such as rodeos, country concerts, and horse shows. They are also perfect for casual events like a country-themed party or a day out in the sun.
How Do I Choose The Best Cowboy Hat For Me?
Choose a cowboy hat that suits your head shape, face, and personal style. Consider the brim size, color, material, and crown type. Try different hats to see which one feels the most comfortable and looks the best on you.
What Clothes Should I Wear With A Cowboy Hat?
Pair your cowboy hat with western-style clothing such as denim or chambray shirts, plaid shirts, and leather jackets. You can also wear it with casual outfits like t-shirts, shorts, or jeans. Avoid wearing formal or business attire with a cowboy hat.
How Do I Take Care Of My Cowboy Hat?
Use a soft brush or a damp cloth to remove dust and debris. Avoid getting it wet and direct sunlight, which can result in fading and shrinking. Use a hat stand or a round surface to store your hat to maintain its shape.
Can I Wear A Cowboy Hat In The Rain?
It’s not recommended to wear a cowboy hat in the rain, as they are made from materials that can get damaged when exposed to water. If you’re caught in the rain, wipe your hat dry with a clean cloth and let it air dry before storing it.
Overall, incorporating a cowboy hat into your wardrobe can elevate your outfit, but it’s important to pair it with the right clothing and accessories. Whether you opt for a casual or dressy look, keep in mind the current fashion trends and the occasion.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with different styles and colors, but make sure your outfit maintains its overall balance. Remember to take good care of your cowboy hat to keep it in top condition and enjoy your fashionable accessory for years to come.
With this guide, you should now have a good idea of what to wear with a cowboy hat. So next time you’re planning an outfit, consider adding a cowboy hat to the mix for a stylish and unique touch.